Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Chef-ly Yours

When I was in college at American University Chef Geoff's was my version of Cheers. Every Monday evening I was there sitting at one of the high-top tables in the bar eating a burger and schmoozing with friends. If I wasn't there you could assume something was wrong.

It was the place I went to if I just wanted to grab a quick drink, but it was also the place I would head to if I wanted to sit and hang out for awhile while watching a game. I went there so much that the bartender stopped asking for my ID (and I don't really look over 21). I'm surprised he still even bothered to take my order since it was always the same during happy hour: a beer, a burger and sweet potato fries - and you can get all of that for less than $12. This is a gourmet burger, crisp sweet potato fries and a pint of beer. For those of you who want more than a pint of beer they offer "super-mugs," a.k.a. a huge huge glass of beer, for $7. There is a reason that this is known as one of the best happy hours in DC. Happy hour goes all night on Mondays and Tuesdays and runs from 3pm-7pm every other day of the week.

But Chef Geoff's is known for many other things beside burgers and beer. It is a great place to take a large group of people because the food is well prepared and the menu is varied enough that everyone will be able to find a dish that appeals to them. The menu ranges from pasta to seafood to chicken and each is well seasoned and flavored with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Their brunch is also well done. My personal favorite is the Eggs Chesapeake - aka eggs benedict on a fresh crab cake. There is nothing on the brunch menu that one can really turn their nose up at - there are the old standbys with a few surprises (such as Chicken and Waffles) thrown in. But no matter what you order you know that it will come out promptly with a smile. Is the food the most exciting thing in the city? No. But is it does it give a solid performance? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment