Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

J'adore Crepe Amour

The beauty of crepes lies in their utter simplicity. You start with flour, milk, butter and a tiny bit of salt and wind up with a beautiful flat pancake that acts as a blank canvas for savory and sweet flavors. Luckily there are plenty of places in and around DC where you can get this French treat, but one that stands out is Crepe Amour in Georgetown.

I had walked by Crepe Amour plenty of times, but I have never been into the restaurant. In fact seeing them on the Cooking Channel’s Unique Eats over my “winter break” was just the kick in the butt I needed to go check them out.

We opted to head there before going to Trader Joe’s for our weekly grocery trip since it’s never a good idea to go to the store with an empty stomach. Luckily the Georgetowner crepe I ordered was filled with freshly scrambled eggs, bacon and cheddar managed to fill up my tummy quite nicely. Elliot opted for the traditional Monsieur (ham and cheese) crepe. We were filling boring that morning, but if you are in the mood for something more adventurous you can get a crepe filled with a ton of different flavors and cuisines. The menu at Crepe Amour lists a mac & cheese crepe, a crepe with all the Thanksgiving fixings and a crepe filled with tandoori chicken.

If you are in the mood for a sweet treat you can find that as well. Elliot and I shared a crepe filled with Nutella and sprinkled with a generous amount of powdered sugar. To me it tasted exactly like the one I had while walking between museums in Paris, which I took to be a good sign. I opted to go the traditional route, but Amour offers a crepe called “Steve’s Job” that is stuffed with apples, almonds, cinnamon and caramel. If that doesn’t strike your fancy go with the “Nutty Buddy” that contains Nutella, peanut butter and crushed Reese’s cups. Talk about a sugar high.

Not only was the food at Crepe Amour fresh, hot and delicious; the food is also cheap. For 2 savory crepes and a sweet crepe we spent around $17. For an even better deal flash your student ID on a Monday and get ½ off all food.

No comments:

Post a Comment