Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Mexican Passover in Chinatown


I've lived in DC for the past 5 years, and I would estimate that my dad has somehow wound up here for maybe 3 of the past 5 Passovers. To be honest, I'm not sure how that happened. But it did, and our go-to restaurant for this culinarily-limiting holiday has and will continue to be Rosa Mexicano in Chinatown. I never would have thought that a Mexican restaurant would be one of the only places in the city that features a menu that complies with the dietary rules of the holiday.

Rosa Mexicano has amazing guacamole that is made table-side with fresh avocado, jalapeno, tomato, onion and cilantro. Generally this dip is served with warm tortillas and chips, but not tonight. Instead, I was able to enjoy the perfectly prepared guac with matzo. What a treat! [But that was only the beginning.]

My dad and I both ordered the Mixiote de Barbacoa de Res, also known as banana leaf wrapped brisket. The slightly spicy meat was so tender that I never needed to pick up my knife. The tsimmes (a side dish of cooked carrots, yams and dried fruits) that the meat was cooked in added the right amount of sweet and tangy to the mix. And although I am not much of a kugel person, my dad devoured spinach-potato version and hardly left a bite on his plate. If you are comparing Passover food to Passover food, this is as good as it gets... especially when you get to stare out at the the bustling street corner of 7th and F Streets NW and people watch to your heart's content.

I don't know if I would send people to Rosa Mexicano on a normal day. After all, the food isn't exactly cheap. But for Passover, it is the best that you can get in the city. So go! Enjoy. And just remember that this night really is different than other nights, because you can't eat the same amazing and warm corn tortillas as the couple sitting next to you.

images: godc.com



1 comment:

  1. I saw this restaurant in LA and was curious to try it but never did! Now because of your amazing review I will try it!
    http://www.justme-bluefemme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete