Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Urban Brunching

As my friend Sam always says, "There is nothing better than brunch." According to her, "Brunch, which combines the greatest foods from breakfast and lunch, was a big meal eaten by Christians after attending mass." Well, this brunch was not after mass... considering we were trying to load up on carbs before the start of Passover, but it was absolutely a combination of the greatest foods from breakfast and lunch.

Sam and I chose Urbana because I had heard wonderful things about their bellini bar. I fell in love with bellinis when I traveled to the drink's birthplace, Venice, during my time abroad. For those of you who do not know what a bellini is, you are absolutely missing out: it is a lovely mixture of prosecco and peach puree. Urbana takes this concept a step further and built your own bellini bar. They have a variety of fruit juices and purees (mango, passion fruit, peach, strawberry, orange, etc.) sitting out, which allows you to make your own concoction of fruit topped off with bubbly. Do you want to know what the best part of this is? Are you sure? Ok, so here it goes: you can have a bottomless bellini for the low price of $11! That is equivalent to one mediocre drink in Adams Morgan on a Saturday night. This is a much better use of alcohol and money.

Knowing that we are about to be on a carb-less diet for a eight days, we chose to gravitate toward foods that were full of them. We must have been giving off the Jewish vibe, because even our observant and attentive waiter made a comment about needing eat carbohydrate-heavy dishes before Passover. With that in mind, it was an easy decision to make to order the blueberry pancakes. Although I can't speak for my dining companions' dishes, mine was close to perfect. I could tell that the blueberries were fresh, leaving little stains of purple juice on the fluffy pancakes. The other thing that I appreciated was the maple syrup, which I am fairly certain was the real stuff from maple trees in Vermont and not Aunt Jemima's or Log Cabin from the grocery store. My fellow brunchers also cleared their plates of challah French toast and eggs, toast, and bacon. As my mother always says, "The clean plate club is always the mark of a good meal."

No comments:

Post a Comment