Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Living Dangerously



Restaurants keep popping up on H Street like tulips in the spring time. I feel like every time I turn around, there is a new place to try in the Atlas District. Believe me, I'm not complaining. Now that it is nicer out I can easily walk there, get something to eat and walk back without feeling too guilty.

The first time I heard about Dangerously Delicious Pies I was watching Best Thing I Ever Ate on the Food Network when Duff Goldman (of Ace of Cakes fame) was talking about his favorite guilty pleasure - the Baltimore Bomb. It has a sweet vanilla custard and is filled with Berger Cookies, a local Baltimore speciality. Not long after seeing that episode I found out that Dangerously Delicious was opening a location in DC, not far from my apartment. Mind you, this was back in the winter, so it has been quite some time since the original opening date. After an "elaborate maze of red tape" (courtesy of the DC government) this pie mecca is finally open for business.

Chef Rodney came up with the idea for the original Dangerously Delicious Pies 10 years ago when he realized that rock and roll wasn't going to pay the bills forever. But he realized that "pies could pay for rock and roll." The small storefront certainly is rocking. You walk in and just know that you have arrived someplace unlike any other. The temptingly luscious smells of pies and quiche waft out of the oven - bringing a sharp contrast to the many pie-and-crossbones designs that grace the interior decorations.

The shop serves sweet and savory pies which cater to all dietary needs, including vegetarians and vegans. When I was in there, I was told that there isn't a set schedule quite yet but what they make will be decided based on what the customers enjoy. If you have trouble deciding what to order the helpful staff will be more than happy to assist you. The morning that I was there they absolutely pointed me in the right direction. I walked out of there with a slice of spinach and goat cheese quiche and an oversized sliver of the Baltimore bomb.

My roommate and I thought that both kinds of pie were winners. The quiche was fluffy and seasoned to perfection, allowing the flavor of creamy goat cheese to come through. The Baltimore bomb precisely what its name suggests, d'bomb. The woman working at the shop told us that slices of it fly off the shelves almost as soon as it comes out of the oven. The crust was buttery and flakey and combined with the vanilla custard and cookies it was absolute dynamite.

Pie here isn't cheap. Slices range from $6 to $8 and whole pies can set you back almost $30, which can quickly leave a hole in your wallet. Yet, I think that you could go with a friend for lunch and order 3 slices and leave full. This isn't an everyday treat, but it is a place that deserves recognition and your patronage.


image: pul.se


No comments:

Post a Comment